From ALICE Documentation
Revision as of 11:59, 6 October 2020 by Deuler
This wiki is the main documentation source for information about the Academic Leiden Interdisciplinary Cluster Environment (ALICE) cluster. ALICE is the research computing facility of the partnership Leiden University and Leiden University Medical Center. It is available to any researcher from both partners. In this wiki, we will introduce the ALICE cluster in detail.
Below you find a collapsible tree structure of our documentation set which gives you a quick overview of the full navigation tree. The root tree items are also directory accessible from the top navigation bar.
This user guide will help you get started if you are new to ALICE and working on an HPC in general.
- More in-depth
- Security and privacy
- More on login nodes
- Using Node802
- Running jobs
- Available software
- Develop your own code
- Running in parallel
- Software packages
- 2 Jun. 2021 - Rclone available on ALICE: Rclone is available on ALICE and there are instructions on how to set it up to transfer files to and from SurfDrive and ResearchDrive: Data transfer to and from ALICE. This is a new feature and feedback on your experience is very welcome.
- 29 Apr. 2021 - ALICE User Survey 2021 closed: The ALICE User Survey 2021 is closed. We have received responses from 76 users. We are thrilled to have this many contributions. Thank you very much for participating in the survey. We will go through all the answers now and share results from the survey here on the wiki with you.
- 12 Feb. 2021 (Update 22 Feb. 2021) - SSH Connection Stability: If you recently started experiencing that your ssh connection is breaking up after a few minutes of being idle, please check the settings below for you ssh configuration for ALICE. If this does not solve the issue, please contact the ALICE Helpdesk.
- for Linux, MacOS, Windows using OpenSSH command line connection: Make sure you use "ServerAliveInterval 60" and "ServerAliveCountMax 3" to your ssh config settings.
- MobaXterm: Go to Settings -> SSH -> SSH settings and enable "SSH keepalive"
- PuTTY: Go to Settings -> Connection -> Set a non-0 value in "Settings between keepalives" (e.g., 60)
For older news, please have a look at the news archive: News Archive
This section is used to announce upcoming maintenance and provide information before, during and after it. For general information about our maintenance policy, please have a look here: To maintenance policy
System maintenance on Monday, 28 June 2021
We have to perform updates on the ALICE network as part of the integration of the new storage system. We will use this opportunity to also perform other maintenance on the system.
The planned work requires that we take ALICE offline for the duration of the maintenance. You will not be able to connect to ALICE, run jobs or access any data on ALICE.
The maintenance will take place on Monday, 28 June 2021 and we will start to shutdown ALICE on Sunday evening (27 June).
Further details will follow soon. If you have any question, please contact the ALICE Helpdesk.
Previous Maintenance days
Articles with acknowledgements to the use of ALICE
- Effects of stellar density on the photoevaporation of circumstellar discs, Concha-Ramirez, F. et al., MNRAS, 501, 1782 (February 2021), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/mnras/staa3669
- Lucky planets: how circum-binary planets survive the supernova in one of the inner-binary components, Fagginger Auer, F. & Portegies Zwart, S., eprint arXiv:2101.08033, Submitted to SciPost Astronomy (January 2021), https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/link_gateway/2021arXiv210108033F/arxiv:2101.08033
- Trimodal structure of Hercules stream explained by originating from bar resonances, Asano, T. et al., MNRAS, 499, 2416 (December 2020), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/mnras/staa2849
- Oort cloud Ecology II: Extra-solar Oort clouds and the origin of asteroidal interlopers, Portegies Zwart, S., eprint arXiv:2011.08257, accepted for publication by A&A, (November 2020), https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/link_gateway/2020arXiv201108257P/arxiv:2011.08257
- The ecological impact of high-performance computing in astrophysics. Portegies Zwart, S., Nature Astronomy, 4, 819–822 (September 2020), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41550-020-1208-y.
- Better Distractions: Transformer-based Distractor Generationand Multiple Choice Question Filtering, Offerijns, J., Verberne, V., Verhoe, T., eprint arXiv:2010.09598, (October 2020), https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.09598
Leiden researchers and their use of HPC
- Identifying Earth-impacting asteroids using an artificial neural network. John D. Hefele, Francesco Bortolussi and Simon Portegies Zwart. Astronomy & Astrophysics, February 2020.
News articles featuring ALICE
- Hazardous Object Identifier: Supercomputer Helps to Identify Dangerous Asteroids, Oliver Peckman, HPC Wire, 04 March 2020, link
- Elf reuzestenen op ramkoers met de aarde?, Annelies Bes, 13 February 2020, Kijk Magazine, link
- Leidse sterrenkundigen ontdekken aardscheerders-in-spé, NOVA, 12 February 2020, link