From ALICE Documentation
- 1 News
- 2 Maintenance
- 3 Publications
- 25 Feb. 2021 - Next major maintenance window on 08 March 2021: Please have a look at the maintenance page for details on our planned work and how it affects you.
- 12 Feb. 2021 (Update 22 Feb. 2021) - SSH Connection Stability: If you recently started experiencing that your ssh connection is breaking up after a few minutes of being idle, please check the settings below for you ssh configuration for ALICE. If this does not solve the issue, please contact the ALICE Helpdesk.
- for Linux, MacOS, Windows using OpenSSH command line connection: Make sure you use "ServerAliveInterval 60" and "ServerAliveCountMax 3" to your ssh config settings.
- MobaXterm: Go to Settings -> SSH -> SSH settings and enable "SSH keepalive"
- PuTTY: Go to Settings -> Connection -> Set a non-0 value in "Settings between keepalives" (e.g., 60)
- 25 Jan. 2021 - Outlook for ALICE in 2021: We have updated the section outlining our expansions plans for ALICE in 2021 (Future plans). Two major items this year will be the addition of a new parallel file storage system and the expansion of the GPU nodes. But there is more on our agenda, so stay tuned...
- 08 Jan. 2021 - SURF HPC Workshops: SURF is offering HPC-related workshops on various topics. You can find a list of upcoming workshops (and more) on the SURF website (Link). Workshops of interest to HPC users are:
- Webinar Introduction Supercomputing
- Webinar Introduction HPC Cloud
- Using the Amsterdam Modeling Suite in HPC systems
- SURF Research Week
For older news, please have a look at the news archive: News Archive
This section is used to announce upcoming maintenance and provide information before, during and after it. For general information about our maintenance policy, please have a look here: To maintenance policy
The next major maintenance window will be on 8 March 2021.
What are we going to do?
- We will integrate an NVIDA Tesla T4 GPU into login node 2. We have purchased two GPUs, i.e., one for each login node. We will start with login node 2 because there are generally fewer users on it.
What does this mean for you?
- We will have to take login node 2 offline in order to integrate the GPU.
- All active connections, screens or tmux sessions will be terminated.
- We hope that we can bring login node 2 back until noon.
- After a testing phase, we will make the T4 available and announce details on it use.
Do you have questions?
Please contact the (ALICE Helpdesk)
Previous Maintenance days
Articles with acknowledgements to the use of ALICE
- Effects of stellar density on the photoevaporation of circumstellar discs, Concha-Ramirez, F. et al., MNRAS, 501, 1782 (February 2021), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/mnras/staa3669
- Lucky planets: how circum-binary planets survive the supernova in one of the inner-binary components, Fagginger Auer, F. & Portegies Zwart, S., eprint arXiv:2101.08033, Submitted to SciPost Astronomy (January 2021), https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/link_gateway/2021arXiv210108033F/arxiv:2101.08033
- Trimodal structure of Hercules stream explained by originating from bar resonances, Asano, T. et al., MNRAS, 499, 2416 (December 2020), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/mnras/staa2849
- Oort cloud Ecology II: Extra-solar Oort clouds and the origin of asteroidal interlopers, Portegies Zwart, S., eprint arXiv:2011.08257, accepted for publication by A&A, (November 2020), https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/link_gateway/2020arXiv201108257P/arxiv:2011.08257
- The ecological impact of high-performance computing in astrophysics. Portegies Zwart, S., Nature Astronomy, 4, 819–822 (September 2020), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41550-020-1208-y.
- Better Distractions: Transformer-based Distractor Generationand Multiple Choice Question Filtering, Offerijns, J., Verberne, V., Verhoe, T., eprint arXiv:2010.09598, (October 2020), https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.09598
Leiden researchers and their use of HPC
- Identifying Earth-impacting asteroids using an artificial neural network. John D. Hefele, Francesco Bortolussi and Simon Portegies Zwart. Astronomy & Astrophysics, February 2020.
News articles featuring ALICE
- Hazardous Object Identifier: Supercomputer Helps to Identify Dangerous Asteroids, Oliver Peckman, HPC Wire, 04 March 2020, link
- Elf reuzestenen op ramkoers met de aarde?, Annelies Bes, 13 February 2020, Kijk Magazine, link
- Leidse sterrenkundigen ontdekken aardscheerders-in-spé, NOVA, 12 February 2020, link