ALICE User Documentation Wiki v02
From ALICE Documentation
Welcome to the ALICE HPC user documentation.
ALICE is a computing facility for state-of-the-art research and education of Leiden University. With ALICE you have the world of computing at your fingertips. On this wiki, you can find the information you'll need to get started and become more skilled in using computing to support your research and education.
We appreciate any questions or comments on the content of the documentation so that we can improve the range of information that we supply here.
If you are unsure about where to go next, have a look below.
What is ALICE?
Please check out the About ALICE pages to get some background information, a quick overview and see how to acknowledge it.
What's new with ALICE?
To get information about updates, upgrades, events, planned maintenance and more, have a look at the News page.
Here are the most recent news:
- 29 Apr. 2021 - ALICE User Survey 2021 closed: The ALICE User Survey 2021 is closed. We have received responses from 76 users. We are thrilled to have this many contributions. Thank you very much for participating in the survey. We will go through all the answers now and share results from the survey here on the wiki with you.
- 29 Mar. 2021 - ALICE User Survey 2021 out: The ALICE User Survey 2021 is online. All users should have received a link and password. If you are a user and you have not received a link, please contact the ALICE Helpdesk. We hope that you take the time to fill it out and help us improve ALICE: We are looking forward to your responses.
- 29 Mar. 2021 - MATLAB 2020b available: We have updated MATLAB to version 2020b and changed the license server configuration so that ALICE can now make use of the MATLAB campus license. If you still need version 2019b, please contact the ALICE Helpdesk.
- 12 Feb. 2021 (Update 22 Feb. 2021) - SSH Connection Stability: If you recently started experiencing that your ssh connection is breaking up after a few minutes of being idle, please check the settings below for you ssh configuration for ALICE. If this does not solve the issue, please contact the ALICE Helpdesk.
- for Linux, MacOS, Windows using OpenSSH command line connection: Make sure you use "ServerAliveInterval 60" and "ServerAliveCountMax 3" to your ssh config settings.
- MobaXterm: Go to Settings -> SSH -> SSH settings and enable "SSH keepalive"
- PuTTY: Go to Settings -> Connection -> Set a non-0 value in "Settings between keepalives" (e.g., 60)
The next major maintenance window will be announced here at least one week in advance.
Just Getting Started?
If you're new to ALICE, please check out the User Guide.
What more can I do with ALICE?
If you already have experience with ALICE and/or HPC, have a look at the Advanced Guide pages. Please note that many of the pages here are still under construction and subject to change.
What else is there about ALICE?
If you need more information on general topics, such as hardware, storage, and policies, please take a look at the Documentation pages. Please note that many of the pages here are still under construction and subject to change.
Have a question or feedback on ALICE?
If you have a question about ALICE, need help with using it or want to give us some feedback, please see the Support page to know how you can connect with us.
Status of ALICE?
Would you like to know how busy ALICE is and if all nodes are up, then please have a look at the Current Status Overview.